January 16, 2008

Jenny Holzer Installation

I tried to resist blogging this but couldn't. At MoCA, from both ends of a huge room, poems by 1996 Nobel laureate Wislawa Szymborska are starkly projected. Giant beanbags dot the space like islands. On view through fall 2008; more at The NYT.

Holzer's is a great example of art I started out hating but quickly came to love. The first thing of hers I saw was a large, LED display of the text, "Money Creates Taste." The town I live in seems to refute that idea utterly. But the statement stuck in my mind in the same way something odd in Shakespeare sometimes does -- something that at first seems paradoxical or just wrong, and later seems so circuitously right (see Cleanth Brooks' The Well Wrought Urn).

And thus do we of wisdom and of reach,
With windlasses and with assays of bias,
By indirections find directions out . . . -- Act II, scene i, Hamlet

No comments:

Post a Comment