Google has received more than 1,000 requests from authorities to take down content from its search results or YouTube video in the last six months of 2011, the company said on Monday, denouncing what it said was an alarming trend.(Emphasis supplied; more at the link.) It's even more alarming that it's reached the point that even Google finds it alarming.
* * * * *
Many of those requests targeted political speech, keeping up a trend Google said it has noticed since it started releasing its Transparency Report in 2010.
"It's alarming not only because free expression is at risk, but because some of these requests come from countries you might not suspect — Western democracies not typically associated with censorship," said Chou.
In the second half of last year, Google complied with around 65 percent of court orders and 47 percent of informal requests to remove content, it said.